Posters – Otomo Katsuhiro X Graphic Design is a gigantic sized, sumptuous collection of the famed anime director’s poster designs.
1) The element of graphic design. Books like Otomo Genga and Kaba 2 features Otomo’s illustrations pristine and in their unvarnished state; in this book the emphasis is on seeing Otomo’s art work as a completed product in poster form, incorporating Type and graphic design.
2) Scope of genre/work. Included in this book are posters that feature Otomo Katsuhiro’s foray into other disciplines other than anime, like live-action filmmaking (Mushishi), World Apartment Horror, as well as illustrations for books, amusement partks, events, etc.
4) Interview/notes in English language. Near the end of the book there is an interview with Otomo regarding the design process of his posters, as well as footnotes that provide additional background information on his various projects – these are seldom available in English.
(above) An annotated Otomo sketch showing the director’s rough layout and design for some of his Akira/Memories poster designs.
Most Otomo fans will probably be familiar with Akira art work so I’m posting just a few here, although the Akira posters included is very comprehensive and take up almost 1/3 of the contents of the book. Also included is a A2 sized fold-out poster featuring Tetsuo. ( design above )
(above) The original Otomo painted acrylic/gouache illustration of Steamboy seen above used to hang off a partition wall behind my seat in Sunrise Studios. Otomo had a office in the studio but he works mostly at home.
(above left) Poster design for 2013 animated film Short Peace, based on Otomo’s manga of the same name. He also illustrated the cover for the upcoming art book. ( below right )
(above) Posters for the live-action Mushishi film that Otomo directed, based on the hugely popular manga/anime by Yuki Urushibara. It wasn’t very well received but I do like the visuals and character design.
(above) A series of character illustrations Otomo painted for a Casio ad. See this older post.
This is the most comprehensive collection of Otomo posters (more than 150) available, and the sheer quantity, quality and sumptuous size of the prints make it one of the best art books I’ve seen this year. My highest recommendations.
Some technical details – This book is identical in size to the Otomo Genga art book, which is huge ! The reproductions are crisp, and the paper quality is very good – it’s thicker and feels more durable than what was used in Otomo Genga.
I want to thank the publisher PIE Books and especially Sekizawa-san for sending me this copy of Posters for review.
“Posters – Otomo Katsuhiro X Graphic Design” art book details :
– Dimensions – 14.2 x 10.2 x 0.8 inches
– Softcover with dust jacket, 176 pages. Comes with an A2 sized foldout poster.
– Full color, in Japanese/English language
You might also be interested in these items :