To commemorate the 25th anniversary of Masamune Shirow’s groundbreaking manga Ghost In The Shell, the inspiration behind Mamoru Oshii’s 2 animated films and the Stand Alone Complex / Arise TV series, a major art exhibition is being held in various cities in Japan, starting in Tokyo on the 8th of August 2014.
(above) Some of the genga pieces getting sorted in preparation for the exhibition. Image courtesy of Kokakugengaten.
Some of the art work that will be in the exhibition include :
- Masamune Shirow’s Ghost In The Shell digital genga art pieces
– Mamoru Oshii’s Ghost In The Shell animated film cell, background and genga art pieces
– GITS Innocene genga art pieces
– GITS Standalone Complex series DVD cover art work and genga pieces
– GITS ARISE genga art pieces
– Standalone Complex / ARISE manga art by Kinutani Yu and Oyama Takumi
The exhibition will be in Tokyo ( Seibu Ikebukuro Gallery ) from the 8th August to the 20th, and then it will move on to Osaka, Fukuoka and finally Nigata. Tickets can be purchased from Lawsons.
For those of us who can’t attend the exhibitions, a small silver lining lies in a Ghost In The Shell genga art book that will go on sale on the 8th of August. I’ve pre-ordered a copy and will review it when the book arrives.
Some background art from the film can also be found in Ogura Hiromasa’s Of Light And Darkness art book. (image below)
For more information on the exhibition, visit the official page. ( In Japanese only )18